Tips on Removing 5 Common Area Rug Stains
November 25 2016 | by Rug Expedition
A stain on your beautiful rug may be one of the most frustrating accidents that can occur during your busy schedule. That’s why it is important to know how to treat these stains with ease and speed.
Here is some helpful tips to take care of those stains for good;
- Taking action immediately will help with the removal process because the longer you wait the harder, it may be to remove the stain.
- For any liquid based stain, do not take a cloth and rub it on the carpet to try and remove the stain, as this may force the stain even further into the carpet fibers. Instead, use a clean cloth to blot the stain and soak up as much of the spill as possible.
- Pet and Accident Stains: In homes with children and pets, this is one of the most common rug stains to try to remove. Try a detergent solution or a citrus-oxygen cleaner, then rinse and blot until the infected area is dry.
- Fat and Oil based stains: These stains are common for area around food consumption. Simply use a dry-solvent spot carpet cleaning for fat and oil stains like butter, margarine, and gravy spills.
- Sticky Gum: Peel off as much of the gum as you can. Place a plastic bag on top of the area filled with ice cubes, and gently rub the bag on the area to harden the gum. As the gum hardens, gently scrape off as much of the gum as you can. If needed, apply a dry-solvent spot cleaner to finish the job.
- Tomato sauce Stains: After blotting as much of the sauce as possible, take a sponge with cool water to the spot, then apply a detergent solution or a citrus-oxygen cleaner. Finish by rinsing the spot with a vinegar-water mixed solution composed of 1 cup of white vinegar and 2 cups of water and blot dry with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Coffee or Tea Spills: Quickly make a detergent solution using 1 teaspoon of liquid detergent, 1 quart of warm water, and 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar. Apply this solution to the stain, rinse the infected area, and blot. If the spot remains, you may need to use a commercial spot carpet cleaner.
We hope these tips and tricks will help ease the pain of removing stains. If all else fails you may need to use a professional cleaning service, to help your Rug look Perfect again!